I had been wanting to do this for awhile. Love the result and so did my 2yo as she wont take it off, lol. I didnt do a full blown tutorial with measurements and things on this as the size you need will vary and I simply cut around an existing dress we had and liked. But I imagine that you can do something similar yourself with the few pics I have included to show you what I did😉
Here is the shirt and dress I am using. I first laid the dress on top and marked where I wanted to cut the bottom of the shirt off. I will use the bottom hem later to do a ruffle on the bottom. So i cut it about 5″ shorter then what i wanted to leave room for the ruffle. Then I matched the front neck line of the dress up with the front T-shirt neckline. Tuck your sleeves in at the seams and trace about 1/2″ away from the outline of the dress.
Cut one half then fold over and match your lines the best you can:
Then do the back neckline, fold in the sleeves.
Then I matched the sleeve up on the finished edge, traced about 1/2″ away from the neckline, folded back the sleeve seam and traced it all out. I then stacked the 2 sleeves on top of each other when I cut them so they would be identical.
The rest I didnt capture pics of but here is a run down of what I did :
- turned the neckline edge of the sleeves under 1/4″ and zig zagged them both
- Matched up the sleeves with the back pieces and serged, then serged the other side to the front side. I went ahead and serged all the way to the end of the front/back pieces even though the sleeves are shorter on my dress. I will show you this later.
- Threaded all my serged threads back into the seams on the necline.
- Then I sewed up the SIDES of the body of the dress.
- Cut the bottom of the shirt that was leftover earlier into the ruffle. I ruffled the edge and then serged it to the bottom of the dress matching up the side seams of the dress I made and the shirt.
Then I tucked under the leftover underarm edges like this and sewed them down:
I took 1/4″ elastic and placed it on the inside of the top of the sleeve and zig zagged it on to make the neck gather on the sleeve tops:
VIOLA, you are done😀